Friday, October 24, 2008

Happy Gotcha Day, Isabella!

Today (depending on when blogger publishes it... but it should be Saturday) is Bella's Gotcha Day. It is the day that we picked her up from the hogar, where she spent the first 13 months of her life, and the day we never had to bring her back. She physically joined our family FOREVER. We have decided to celebrate Gotcha Day AND Forever Family Day. Her FFD is Oct. 30. It is the day that we landed with her in America and we were all reunited as a family. Jake did not accompany us on our pickup trip. I would like to take a trip down Memory Lane and she "what a difference a year TRULY makes". The above picture is one of my favorites. This was taken on her birthday this year.
This was also taken on her birthday, but I post it for a different reason. While her transition was, for the most part rather easy and smooth, the next picture will show you how far we have come. In this pic she is cheek-to-cheek with me and her arm is squeezing me. Scroll down to the 3rd pic and you will see quite the opposite. That one was taken on our pickup trip and you can see her hesitance and rigidness. She is only close to me because I had her in the sling. Now she hugs me because she loves me and WANTS to, not because some strange lady is pulling her close. I did not realize this then, but I began to look back at pictures tonight and it just popped out at me. A year has changed this precious little girl SO much and it has changed this Mommy SO much, too!
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this picture. It makes ALL the hell and heartache we went through SO worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This does not even look like my Isabella. When I look in those big, brown eyes, I see very little emotion... very little life. A BIG contrast to the big, brown eyes in the first picture.

As some of you may remember, this is what she did if Jeff so much as looked her way.

Now.... she can't get enough of her Daddee (as she pronounces his name). The other morning as he was leaving for work, she kissed him bye and pulled him close to hug him. She said "Love you, Daddee". Jeff said this was the first time she had pulled him in for a hug. Up until that point, he was the initiator of hugging between the two of them. That showed me that we are still gaining ground that we lost in our time of being away from her.
This was taken when we got back to the hotel with her. She looks so confused and scared.

"Not quite sure of these 2 people"...

Here is where I KNOW she made the connection with me and who I was to her. This is how I fed her every time I visited. I made it a point to keep this the same. We would always lock eyes and everything and everyone else would fade... it was always just ME and HER at feeding time. I know God used that to connect us and he used it that day to show her little mind and heart that connection. I am SO thankful for that. I will NEVER forget that moment in time. It was supernatural.

I am so proud to be her Mommy and so thankful that God's ways are ALWAYS best. While I was fighting with infertility and crying "Why?!, He was patient with me and knew that my tears would one day turn to joy when I met His BEST for our family. I can honestly say, the only tears cried here these days, are tears of joy and amazement that I am SO richly blessed. And that is why I will spend today with my daughter, my son, and my husband praising my God for his "plan to prosper me and not to harm me; plans to give me hope".

post signature

16 comments:

Kim said...

It's not good to get someone crying at 7:00 in the morning. :)

Happy Gotcha Day!!!!!

Tricia said...

Amanda, what a beautiful post!

She is SO beautiful!

:)

Mama Bunny said...

Amanda,

Those screaming frantic phone calls seem so far away timewise, but so close in our hearts. It's a pain we'll never forget, but well worth it.

I can't believe it has been a year since you went to get Bella. I am sitting here crying looking at these photos and seeing how much of a difference a year DOES make!

I am so happy for you and your family - May Bella have the best day ever!!!

Our Girls said...

What a BEAUTIFUL POST! Love that photo of her kissing you-! It so Brought tears to my eyes, as it is SO true- We waited and waited for our babies to come home and we all worried about how that bonding would Work out..It sure looks like it has for you and Bella, as you 2 looks SO happy and She Loves her Daddee too! What a HONEY she is!!!
Happy GOTCHA Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jill said...

Okay, my hubby just asked me "what in the world are you reading that is making you CRY?" I felt like I was reading about Mario... Really, a year makes such a difference - thank GOD! Thank you for sharing your story so honestly. She is a doll!

Sarah said...

What a beautiful post to your precious and gorgeous daughter!! Happy Gotcha Day!

drew moser said...

Happy 1 year home beautiful girl. She is SO BEAUTIFUL and those pictures are all amazing. Praising God with you for this gorgeous girl, your daughter and sister. Bekah

Gail said...

Happy Gotcha Day!! It is wonderful seeing the changes the year has brought.
Gail

Vanessa said...

Happy Gotcha day dear sweet girl!

The Frugal Countess said...

You totally suck. I'm bawling.

Terry said...

Happy Gotcha Day! What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing with us.

Jenn said...

I can't believe it has already been a year! It is so beautiful to see you guys together and to see how much she has changed!

Kelli said...

Well not something to read when I am trying to get ready to so to work! What a beautiful post, yeah you are right some very hard times, but the Lord has turn all things around for his purpose. I can not believe a year has gone by. I am so happy for yall and the connect that God has shown with your family is amazing.
Love yall

Daphne said...

Oh my gosh!!! These pictures are adorable!

Melissa said...

Thanks for this beautiful post! It truly is wonderful to see God's wonderful plans unfolding in our lives.

Susie said...

Amanda, what a beautiful post and tribute to an amazing God and little girl. Blessings, Susie