Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Update on Bellaboo

I am sorry that it has taken me so long to post an update. She did fine. The surgery did not last long at all and boy was she TICKED off when they woke her up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She truly is feisty like her Mommy! :) However, she is not feeling too well now. They said to expect a little congestion... well... she had ALOT going on last night. So much that I was awake ALL night long "jump starting" her breathing. Seriously, she was SO congested that she had to breathe through her mouth, but her throat is sore from surgery, so she would stop breathing. Then her body would surge adrenaline (or in most instances, I would nudge her) and she would start back up again. SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeff woke up in the middle of the night sick as a dog with sinus stuff. He said he felt so bad he was not expecting to wake up this morning! So, when he went in this morning to see our ENT, Isabella and I tagged along so she could get checked out. Turns out, she must have either caught something at the surgery center or she aught what jumped on Jeff. Now, she is battling congestion from surgery AND a sinus infection, running a low-grade fever and has a sore in the corner of her mouth from one of the apparatuses they used. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!!

I also want to share something that happened to her Saturday (yes, her Gotcha Day). I started to not post this because of my guilt or of what some of you may say or think. But... I feel if I can change on person's mind about this, it will be worth any backlash I receive. We were in Target with my mom, sister, Jake and my aunt looking for costumes for our Fall Festival. Bella wanted to sit in the back (or is it front?... depends on your perspective, I guess) of the basket. My aunt was pushing and I was in front of Bella. I stepped away from her for a split second and, as I turned around, I watched my precious baby girl fall out on her face. Literally, fall face first onto the Target floor. I immediately screamed and picked her up and started running. My mom stopped me and told me to look at her and to let my aunt look because she is a nurse. What I saw made me nauseated. She had the BIGGEST hematoma on her forehead above her right eye that I have ever seen. I seriously did not know that your head could stretch out this far. My aunt told me to get ice and I started running for the food area. We got ice on it, the personnel called an ambulance and we were transported to the hospital.

Now, I know what some of you are thinking. I never should have put her in there and you are right. But I know many people who do. That does not make it right and NOTHING you could say to me will make me feel any more guilty than I still do and probably will feel for the rest of my life. They did a CT scan and everything was fine. They could not believe she did not lose consciousness, did not vomit or have any neurological issues. I KNOW the Lord has his hand on her despite my stupidity. I WILL NEVER put her in that part of the basket again. She is like the Houdini and is able to shimmy out of anything you use to restrain her. That is why I figured she was safer there than the other part. I learned that is not the case. From now on, I will shop without her, or she will be outside of the basket.

She now has a knot on her forehead and a black eye. She looks pitiful and I only tell you this in hopes that you may avert this happening to your child or a friend's child. Please do not leave a comment telling me how stupid I was or what a bad parent I am. You may think it, but my mind does not need to hear it. If you would, though, please pray that I get the image of her falling and me not reaching her in time out of my head. It haunts me all night and throughout the day. I praise God that He had His hand on her and that he kept her safe.

Thanks to all of you that prayed for her. Please continue to pray for her speedy healing. Thursday is our Forever Family Day and I am still unsure of how to spend it. Please leave a comment letting me know how you have or how you plan to with your family.

post signature

20 comments:

Vanessa said...

My prayers are with you and your sweet little angel!
I will tell you that this very same thing happened to me a while back! Seriously!! I have two girls that are not quite nine months apart and since none of these stores around here think about twins or almost twins I have to usually put one child in the seat and the other in the back. It usally works out fine but one day I turned to pick up a pack of meat from the cooler and Wal-Mart and before I turned back Arianna was on the floor! She didn't have any knots or anything but it scared the you know what out of me!! Accidents happen and you're not the only mom who does stupid things:) Hope your guilt subsides soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie! No need to apologize...and surely no one will leave ugly comments! Oh my, we have ALL done things that in retrospect were not the best. Hindsight is 20/20!! Thanks for sharing the story...you did save one momma from doing the same thing!! Maya, still, as a 2 1/2 year old, like to ride in the baby seat in the cart at Target, which of course she doesn't fit into. But I've let her do it anyway!! But I won't now. Thank you!! And I'm thanking God for having His hand on her that day. I'm sure you had the scare of your life. But she's ok, and there is so much to be THANKFUL for...especially in the celebration of her Forever Family Day!!! Congratulations!! We have had small get togethers with close family and friends (godparents). In the future, I would like to do a small family dinner with a Guatemalan meal to commemorate the day.
OK...long comment...sorry! No guilt girl! She's ok and that is what matters!! Thanks for your courage to share!! :>)

Bekah said...

Oh sweet friend. My stomach hurts for you and I will be praying for that image of her falling to be removed from your mind. I know how that is...I watched Benjamin slip and fall on cement ( I let him go out in the garage when it was raining in his bare feet and he slipped and hit his head so hard I almost threw up) and I could not get that image out of my head. I always let Benjamin sit in the front of the cart because Isa and Sam are up front....not anymore. He will be walking beside me. I am so thankful she is okay and the Lord most certainly protected her. Hugs to you.

Kim said...

Oh, Amanda - I'm so sorry for everything that you've been through recently. No judging!!! We all do things that may not be the safest thing - and many times we are lucky enough that nothing happens. I'm SO glad that Bella is ok. {{HUGS}}

The Frugal Countess said...

Honey, I'm the one who had to rush Mimi to the hospital after she drank 1/2 a bottle of Benadryl. Um, K? Not the best parenting moment of my life. NO judgement here. And I think we need to hear stuff like that - it is a warning that bears repeating.

I'm so sorry our baby girl is suffering after her surgery. I'm SO glad to hear she's okay and everything went well. I got a little worried yesterday when I didn't hear from ya, but I figured you were just worn out. Tell Jeff he's just sick because LSU sucks. (heh heh)

Our Girls said...

Oh Honey-- Stuff happens.. No one thinks you are a bad mamma. I think You are a great Mama.. You did run to get ice... MAN, I bet it looked like you were in the olympics, as you running through the store. I have put Andrea in the basket and not even thought she would fall out?!
I hope Miss Bella feels better- HUGS to you and Bella..

Our Family of 5 said...

Oh Amanda,
Don't be so hard on yourself honey. It happens to the best of us. Unfortunately we can't put them all in bubbles to keep them safe, accidents will happen and sometimes it hurts us more then it does them. I am absolutely praying for sweet Bella get all better and for you to be able to get it out of your mind. Hang in there!

Natalie C. said...

Poor baby girl. I remember when Caleb has his out along with his tonsils...Boy it was rough.

Praying for you.

Terry said...

Oh honey! We all have moments when we do something that may not should be done...um, remember that I forgot to buckle Tommy in his carseat yesterday? Yeah...anything could have happend in the 20 MINUTES that went by before he decided to jump up and dance around the car. You're not a bad mom and I wouldn't even call putting her in that part of the buggy a stupid mistake. It was just a mistake and we all make them. Anyone that says differently is either not a parent or has serious issues.

I'm so glad that she is OK! Please try not to keep reliving it. I'm praying that the scene will stop replaying over and over again in your mind.

(((HUGS))) to an awesome mama!

Kelli said...

I am so sorry that Bellaboo is having a hard time with everything right now. Got a little worried when I did not hear back from you, I know that things get very crazy when kiddo/husbands are down. Hate to hear how bad Jeff feels, poor thing has had a rough time over the last several months. As far for you, STOP giving yourself a hard time!!!! That is why they are called ACCIDENTS...I know what you are thinking, just wait you have a 10 month old, and know what you are going to be right there tagging along telling me those same words. Sorry that you had to go thru that, praying for GOD to take those pictures away from you, lay them down at his feet.
Love ya,

Shannon said...

Thanks for posting this. I am so sorry this happpened and pray Bella is better very soon. I too, have put Emeline in this part of the shopping cart. I had no idea that could happen. Thanks for posting this so I learn from this accident as well. I will never ever put Emeline is the cart again.

Anonymous said...

No judging here. I am glad you shared your story. My ds hates to ride in the front of the buggy. I can usually get him to sit in the back of the buggy for a little bit. Not anymore after reading your story! Again, thanks for sharing!

Shelly (another Guatemama)

Megan said...

I am glad that you are all on the mend! It can happen to anyone! Happened to Mason and I when I fell down stairs while I was carrying him. So scary!!

Madelyn's Mommy said...

You are NOT a bad mom!!

I let Madi do that all the time because she would rather sit in the back than up front with me.

you taught me a lesson.

Can't wait to see pics of your forever family day.

Unknown said...

Hi--I hope Bella is feeling better soon! I'm glad she's okay following her cart accident--we all have stories of what happened in a split second. It is so scary! Sometimes it amazes me that they make it past toddlerhood!

take care

Candy said...

WHAT Bellaboo has the same GOTCHA day as Kya Blu...COOL...I know they were a year apart....but STILL...and girl I let my kids ride anywhere in the cart and I have been lucky...but I think I will be more careful now...Sat was a CRAZY day for everyone I know...we were at urgetn care with Jagger and in the ER with my step mom that night....YIKES

HUGS and Happy Late Gotcha DAY

Candy said...

I AM A DORK....Now I see that our gotcha days are a week off...

Laura said...

I am so glad that she is ok! I wish you could see how many times my children fall a day. you are not a bad mom! I hope you had a wonderful FFD and that your hubby and baby girl is feeling better. Have a wonderful week!

Susie said...

Amanda, first, thank you for praying for our Bella. Second, thanks for sharing your Mom story. To add to your story, when my youngest son was 3, he decided to mouth off to me, so I put him in his room. He kept coming out. I told him if he came out again, I would lock the door. Sure enough, he did. So I shut the door and held it (there was no lock on the door, I was it!) I heard him throwing himself around and then I could hear him crying, only it was not from his room. I threw the door open and he was no where, but the window was now open (the air conditioner was on) and the screen was flapping in the air. He had opened the window, stood on his dresser, pushed on the screen and fell out of the second story window in his bedroom. I was hysterical to say the least. Cried all the way to the hospital. Got a hold of my self and then lost it when the nurse asked what happened. This boy had nothing, not a cut, scratch or broken bone. God literally caught that boy and laid him softly on the ground. I remember thinking "great, I am just like one of those story's on the news where everyone is asking "where was that Mother?" Right there, holding the door". Ugh.... It's tough being a Mom, we do our best and we need to let God do the rest. Be blessed and know that all is well. Susie

Michelle Riggs said...

Praying for you and your daughter. I have done the same thing a few times in the past. Fortunatly they didn't climb out.

Thank you for the warning.

Thank you so much for praying for Abby.